Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Silver Dollar Pancakes

Do you have someone in your life whom you love enough to go to the DMV for?

I'm not talking about, "I have to go to the DMV for myself, so I can just go ahead and do that thing for you while I'm there." I'm talking about, "On my day off I will make a special trip to the DMV to get you new license plates and registration."

If that's not true love, I don't know what is.

In order to gear myself up for a trip to the DMV this morning for my loved one, I made silver dollar pancakes.

Breakfast is a go


I also did some thinking. I do my best thinking when cooking.

Following thoughts are listed in no particular order.

Ready to Go


1) I totally know that yesterday was IHOP National Pancake day and this posting would have been super appropriate for that, but I had to work at 6 am yesterday morning. There were no pancakes being made at 6am yesterday morning. There was a granola bar and fruit leather happening in the car on the way to work at 5:45am yesterday morning.

Electric Fry Pan


2) I miss my cast iron skillet. We have a glass stove top on the range in our new kitchen. That means no  cast iron skillet. The only thing we have to use instead is an electric skillet. Hurumph.

Dry Sifting


2) I will be the first to admit that I am not a big fan of Pancakes. I'm more of a waffle person. And I'm not even that much of a waffle person. I'm more of an egg and bacon lady myself.

Batter Ready


3) These would make super awesome sausage, egg and cheese sandwiches. Breakfast for Dinner anyone?

Recipe 1Recipe 2


5) My dad told me that my grandmother would make these every friday. He said that he never knew if she did this because they were catholic and they weren't supposed to eat meat on fridays or if the grocery funds were stretched a little tight by friday and these were cheap and easy. I like this story. I will hold it in my heart for as long as I can remember it.

Hot Buttered Griddle


4) I should totally start a food truck here in Madison. I want to do a gourmet sausage truck and twice fried Belgian fries with different dipping sauces. You can't tell me you wouldn't walk by a sausage truck on your way to or from a Badger football game and get down on a bacon wrapped bratwurst with a side of cheese smothered french fries.
             a. Yes, I think about food when I'm making food.
             b. If you steal my food truck idea, I will be very upset but I will probably still buy a bacon                             wrapped brat from you.

Hot Griddle


From the time I walked into the DMV to the time I walked out, all of 12 minutes had passed. It really wasn't bad at all. I'm still glad I made pancakes this morning.

Morning Perfection

Silver Dollar Pancakes

Adapted from: Norma Prosnick

Serves 25-30 small pancakes

1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 1/2 Teaspoons Double Action Baking Powder
2 Eggs, Lightly Beaten
1 Tablespoon Butter, Melted
1 Teaspoon Honey
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 1/4 Cups Whole Milk

In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Make well in center of ingredients. Set aside.

In a medium bowl combine eggs, melted butter, honey, vanilla and milk.

Stir liquid ingredients into dry and beat with wooden spoon until just combined. Batter will still have small lumps in it. Don't worry, that's totally okay.

On a hot, buttered griddle, drop batter in tablespoon portions.
I used my OXO medium cookie scoop and they turned out larger than silver dollars, but the size was really perfect.

Bubbles

When bubbles on side one of the pancake have popped and are set, flip them over and cook for a couple more minutes until they are golden brown.

Golden Tasty

Serve warm with melted butter and honey. Or Nutella. Or maple syrup. Or use them to make a sausage, egg and cheese sandwich.

Sunny Honey

If you have any leftovers, you can freeze them in an airtight container for up to 3 months and then pull them out, pop them in the toaster to warm them up and you can have pancakes even if you have to work at 6 am.

Left overs


No comments:

Post a Comment