Sunday, November 7, 2010

Recharging the battery

I really can not think of a better way to spend a weekend then running errands and puttering around at home.
And, that is exactly what I did today.
Here is just one of the things I did today:
IMG_0316

I hope they stay up. I mounted them with 3M command picture mounting strips. I didn't want to put holes in the wall. Cross your fingers for me.

Here's another one of my triumphs:
IMG_0333

I just finished taking a crochet class. I'm not very good. I'm proud of this little coaster because I made it completely by following the instructions on a pattern. I had no help at all. Yep, I know that you can totally tell I didn't have any help.

And I was finally able to make pumpkin whoopie pies. I've been meaning to make them for well over a month now and when I would go to make them I was always missing an ingredient. First it was veggie oil. And then it was cream cheese. And then it was ground ginger.
So, I was finally able to get my act together and was home longer than 48 hours in a row.

I have to be honest with you, I've never had a real honest to goodness whoopie pie. But I'm pretty sure I would like them. Cakey chocolately cookie sandwich with a layer of vanilla marshmallow frosting goodness. What is there not to like?
Take that and make it a spicy pumpkin cakey cookie with cream cheese frosting in the center. Get outta here!
Super easy. I made it even easier by using a piping bag to form the little cakes.

It uses 2 full cups of hard packed brown sugar:IMG_0318

I was a little scared by this. But don't be. It's brilliant.
I do kind of wish they were more pumpkiny. Is that a word? I don't think so.
I would reduce the oil a tad and add more pumpkin:

IMG_0319

I would also maybe think about adding some more spices. I was thinking adding a tad more ginger and some nutmeg. How did I not add nutmeg? Duh!

IMG_0321

I started out by just spooning them out on the cookie sheet but that was taking far too long and they weren't turning out very pretty. So, I busted out the piping bags. You don't necessarily need piping bags. Just use a gallon ziplock bag and fill that sucker up with the batter, zip it closed and snip off the tip. In hind sight this probably would be far less messy than the piping bag:
IMG_0327

Threw them in the oven for 12 mins:
IMG_0324

And 12 minutes later you have these lovely fluffy cake/cookies.:
IMG_0328

You're supposed to wait for them to cool before you frost them. So, that thing called self control. I am somehow lacking a little bit of it:
IMG_0329

But I did wait for the rest of them to cool:
IMG_0330

That's a horrible picture, you say? And where on earth did the rest of them go, you ask?
Don't worry. They're in the fridge. I swear I did wait for them to cool, but the frosting was a little runny and the tops were sliding off so, I just popped them in the fridge. I swear I did not eat them.
If I had eaten all but 4 of them, I don't know if I would be able to be sitting upright to type right now...

Like that would actually stop me from eating 12 whoopie pies. Please.

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies:
Adapted from Allrecipes.com

Ingredients

2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups solid pack pumpkin puree
2 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
1/2 tablespoon ground cloves
1/2 tablespoon nutmeg

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease baking sheets.
Combine the oil and brown sugar. Mix in the pumpkin and eggs, beating well. Add the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, 1 teaspoon vanilla, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Mix well.
Drop dough by heaping teaspoons onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cookies cool then make sandwiches from two cookies filled with Whoopie Pie Filling.

Cream Cheese Filling:
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl on medium speed until fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until light and fluffy.
Spread a heaping teaspoon of filling onto flat side of one cookie; top with flat side of second cookie to make a sandwich. Repeat with remaining cookies and filling. Store in covered container in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment