Sunday, August 7, 2011

We Love Plants!

It's been kind of on the warm side here lately. Not unbearably hot. Just too warm to justify turning the oven on for more than broiling some garlic bread. Mmmm. Garlic Bread.

So, what do I do with my time when on a baking hiatus?

What all good Californian's do. Plant some green stuff.

No, not that kind of green stuff. We don't live in Humbolt Co. for goodness sake.

We've discussed getting a large indoor plant on several different occasions and today we finally made a decision.

P1020814

He doesn't have a name yet. I'll let you know what it is once we've decided.

Roger has been thrown out there. As in Aaron Rodgers. And as much as I love me some A-Rodge, I can not name the plant Roger.

P1020810

K used to be a landscaper in highschool and college.

You can tell he's a professional.

P1020812

It's a Fiddle Leaf Fig. We're both pretty excited about it. It's pretty awesome.

The whole purpose of our visit to the nursery was to get supplies for a terrarium that I have been dreaming about for, like, FOREVER.

I did get my supplies. We just ended up with more than supplies for the terrarium. We ended up with a new roommate.

P1020796

If you were wondering how to build a terrarium, it's super simple.

You need a container. I got mine at Ikea for like 4 bucks.

P1020802

You need rocks or gravel for the bottom drainage layer.

P1020806

You need charcoal for the middle layer. This will keep things from getting funky.

P1020800

And then you need your planting medium for the top layer. I wanted to plant succulents so I opted for cactus mix but if you wanted to plant generic house plants you could opt for regular old potting soil.

P1020809

After that you arrange your little buddies in there however you want. I needed the help of a spoon for arranging the plants and soil because the opening was too small for my hand.

P1020808

I now have my new terrarium on my desk in my office. I'm not entirely sure if it will get enough light in there yet, so we'll see. I'm still fairly new to this whole succulent thing as I grew up in Minnesota and those bad boys are completely foreign to me.

P1020817

Wish all our new green buddies luck and hope we don't kill them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment